Meatloaf is something that is not enjoyed enough in the UK in my view- unlike in the USA! It's so easy to mix together in a bowl and press into a loaf pan and forget it about whilst it bakes and fills the house with its gorgeous savoury aromas.
What you're left with are slabs of satisfying deliciousness that go well with all veg!
500g pork mince - Preferably organic and outdoor reared such as Duchy organic range from Waitrose.
500g grass-fed (organic if possible) minced beef (not lean or low fat or it will turn out too dry).
1 medium peeled and grated sweet potato
3 cloves of garlic - minced
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp ground white pepper
1 large egg
1 tsp smoked paprika
3 tbs of gluten-free BBQ sauce such as the 'Hunter and Gather' brand or *Dr Wills brand
1 tbs honey.
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees (fan oven).
2. Line a large loaf pan (often called a 2lb size) with parchment paper.
3. In a large bowl, using your hands mix the two types of meat together with all of the ingredients except the BBQ sauce and honey- you will be using that later to make a sticky sweet crust on top of the meatloaf once it has cooked.
4. Bake on the top shelf for 40 mins.
5. Remove from the oven, mix together the BBQ sauce with the honey and smother all over the top of the loaf and return to the oven for another 5 minutes or so.
6. Serve with sautéed cavelo nero and cauliflower mash for a satisfying low GL gluten-free dinner.
*Dr Wills sauces are available in most supermarkets
You can make this meatloaf even more nutritious by blitzing some raw chicken livers in a blender and adding them to the meatloaf mix before baking.